Maintenance of Certification
How can AAP Education help you prepare for MOC? Learn more at www.aap.org/MOCinfo
Maintenance of Certification™ (MOC) Program Components
The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) and the 24 American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) certifying Boards agree that a physician must demonstrate six core competencies. These core competencies are the foundation of MOC and are addressed during medical training and throughout a physician’s career.
MOC is a process that ensures physicians’ engagement with their profession by lifelong learning, applying what is learned in practice, improving the quality of health care and ensuring that you have a useful bank of medical knowledge. The AAP Experience identifies educational sessions by the ACGME/ABMS six core competencies, although no MOC credit will be given for attending these sessions. Look for the following icons by category assigned to conference sessions in the program or search the Event Planner Tool sessions by competency.
- Patient Care is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health
- Medical Knowledge about established and evolving biomedical, clinical, epidemiological, and social-behavioral sciences and the application of this knowledge to patient care
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills result in effective information exchange and teaming with patients, families, and other health professionals
- Practice-Based Learning and Improvement involves investigation and evaluation of one’s own patient care, appraisal, and assimilation of scientific evidence, and improvements in patient care
- Professionalism manifested through a commitment to professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, and sensitivity to a diverse patient population
- Systems-Based Practice demonstrates an awareness of and responsiveness to the larger context and system of health care and effectively calls on system resources to provide care that is of optimal value
To further assist you in providing quality care, we also identify AAP conference sessions by these Institute of Medicine physician attributes: Interdisciplinary Teams, Evidence-based Medicine, and Information Technology.