Advocacy & Social Responsibility
The AAP maintains a culture of social responsibility and developing intiatives geared toward conference attendees that positively impact the community and directly benefit children.
Register for the AAP conference and join us in making a difference to so many!
Portraits in Pediatrics
Learn how AAP used Body Language to create Portraits in Pediatrics, an exciting new photo project to feature the AAP mission "Dedicated to the Health of all Children" and raise awareness for pediatric health disparities.
Contribute your own image to help raise awareness for pediatric health disparities. Show us what do you do to ensure health equity?
I Care for Kids and I Vote
See what educational and advocacy activities are happening at the 2012 conference in our piece, Advocacy and Education Go Hand in Hand (AAP Today, June issue).
Pediatricians can speak up for kids at the ballot box by helping AAP get out the vote (GOTV) in advance of the November 6, 2012 elections! Order your "GOTV Gear" online or at the 2012 AAP National Conference. Learn more at www.AAPGOTV.org.
AAP Community Cares Project
Join us for an opportunity to provide support for New Orleans schoolchildren by volunteering your time before the National
Conference during our annual "Community Cares" project. This year, the AAP will be painting, repairing, planting, and participating in a host of other activites for the ReNEW Charter Management Organization (www.renewschools.org) - a network of charter schools (pre-K through high school) dedicated to preparing inner-city children for college.
Conference attendees, families and children (5 years of age and older) are welcome to participate in this fun and rewarding activity. Lunch and shuttle transportation will be provided.
Don't miss out on an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of New Orleans' children!
The AAP Friends of Children Fund has a permanent booth at the conference and encourages all contribute to support high-priority projects including access to child health programs, quality improvement initiatives, and public information campaigns on issues such as immunization awareness, violence prevention, obesity, and disaster relief.
Since 1989, the Friends of Children Fund has provided over $6 million in support for these and other AAP projects. Conference attendees are also encouraged to participate in the annual 5K Friends of Children Fund 5K Fun Run/Walk.
Interested in sponsoring the 5K Fun Run/Walk? Click here to learn more.
Green Meeting Efforts
Please join us in our efforts to make this event carbon neutral!
- Use recycled and FSC certified paper, including earth-friendly inks in all of our marketing materials
- Use signs onsite that are made of 100% post-consumer products and are biodegradable
- Recycle all badge holders, totebags, and exhibitor leftover materials
- Donate products to the local community
- Provide tote bags made from recycled products
- Avoid serving bottled water
- Use freight and shipping and shutle/transportation companies that offset their emission waste
- Use china or biodegradable materials at food functions
- Eliminate all onsite printing stations — provide attendees a CD-ROM of all handouts
- Use organic and locally grown produce
- Provide exhibitors with a paperless service manual
- Provide recycled pens and notepads to attendees
- Provide recycling centers in the convention center and headquarter hotels
- Provide an opportunity for attendees to offset their carbon waste by donating $10 to plant a tree
How can you help?
- Turn off lights and television when leaving your hotel room
- Reuse linen and towels
- Use public transportation instead of taxis
- Walk whenever possible between meeting venues
- Use the refillable water bottles provided by the AAP instead of purchasing bottles of water
- Recycle in the appropriate bins provided
- Donate $10 so that the AAP can plant a tree to offset your carbon footprint