Arnitel®* AM3001 (P) is a thermoplastic elastomer material for SLS 3D printing technology that combines high energy return with easy processing. The soft elastomer meets the requirements of the European Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC and is pending biocompatibility approval.
Soft, rubber-like polymer materials are widely used in sports and lifestyle such as footwear, sports guards and protective gear. Additive manufacturing is a production technology well suited to the sports and lifestyle market as it allows for cost-efficient personalization and customization. Actual adoption, however, will require availability of materials that combine the right property set with easy printing and a technology that can scale economically.
Typically, soft and elastomeric materials don’t 3D print easily. In Arnitel® AM3001 (P) for SLS, Covestro material scientists managed to successfully combine both. A Shore Hardness of A88 and D35 with elongation at break of the thermoplastic copolymer (TPC) exhibits a very high energy return - above the 50-60% usually found in footwear materials. The Arnitel® powder designed for SLS printing is easy to process without common side-effects such as odors.
- One of the softest thermoplastic elastomer materials for SLS printing
- Energy return level that is much higher than typical footwear materials
- Excellent elongation at break
- Easy processing without odors
- Soft touch and feel
- Pending biocompatibility approval
- Higher, continuous use temperature
- End-user benefits of 3D printed protective mouthguards in Arnitel powder:
- Better hygiene: parts can be dipped in boiling hot water to clean, without deformation
- Easier communication on the field in team sports like hockey and rugby
- 3D scanning rather than plaster bite improving client comfort
- Aesthetic pleasing parts
- Can be post-processed for smooth surfaces, including thin wall parts
- White opaque appearance
- Protective gear such as sports guards
- Consumer goods
- Components that need to comply with the Toy Safety Directive 2009/48/EC
- Parts requiring biocompatibility approval (pending)
The material will be available for customer evaluation and development in the first half of 2022.
*Arnitel® is a registered trademark of DSM.
More information on: Arnitel® AM3001 (P) (covestro.com)